Enunciation Gestapo

You know Enunciation and Pronunciation really mean the same thing in my simple mind, but I guess that is why dictionary writing ain't up to me!

I was up to my elbows listening to a lecture on inflectional suffixes, number, tense, and degree when the speaker poked some good natured humor at a former high school classmate who struggled with her French enunciation. 

I was slightly shocked when the highly qualified and well informed presenter named Nancy Hammer as one who pronounced Boutique as BO TE Q(LONG E SOUND) Insular Americans just default to phonetic English when they don't know the language of origin.

She and her classmates would playfully laugh at their embarrassed classmate rather than correct her. That way their entertainment at Nancy's expense could continue! To call this bullying would be unfair even though young Miss Hammer may have felt slightly mistreated. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't be fooled by this Email Spoofing Entity

The Clerk has your Gasoline Receipt

Homeowner's Tree dangerously Blocking Stop Sign